08 August 2006

Laura Alice Barnett Conner

I have been working aggressively on my husband's Conner family. Mostly because my Mother-in-law and Sister-in-law planed a trip to take Grandma to TX and OK to visit the places her ancestors were from. Also I have made contact with two more distant cousins just with in the last week. So there is a great deal about the Conner's we now know through our collective knowledge of the family.

Laura on the other hand I know almost nothing about other than that she married William Monroe Conner and had 14 children.

William Monroe Conner was born 15 Mar 1868 somewhere in Missouri. He meet his wife Laura Alice Barnett and married her when she was only 12 about 1891 in Missouri. This of course didn't set very well with her family since they were to get married later on. I believe there was also an issue with her family because she was full blooded Cherokee and William was only partial Cherokee. Laura was born on 14 Feb 1876 somewhere in Missouri.

It appears that had at least the first and maybe the second child in Missouri before they relocated to Williamson County, Texas. I found them in Williamson County, Texas in the 1900 census.

By 1920 the family has moved to Martin Township, Harmon County, Oklahoma.

Then in 1930 I finally found them on the family farm, that Grandma remembers, living in Dryden Township, Harmon County, Oklahoma.

From what Grandma remembers she believes that Laura died around 1970 in Hollis or Dryden, Oklahoma. I have not been able to find death records for her or a grave in the Harmon County area. Our fear is that the family begin to burry their loved ones on the farm in Dryden and that now the graves are lost. Laura lost the farm because she couldn't pay the taxes after William died, so there is no telling for sure.

Her birth information was copied from her bible many years ago. It now seems to be lost or in the hands of one of the branches of the family we have yet to make contact with. Her marriage was an estimate on my part based on information from different family members and the birth of the first child. However, the cousin who just contacted me may have her marriage record. I'll try to get a copy from her later to confirm a date.

One of the cousins that contacted me last week was the one to confirm what we had suspected for some time, Laura was full blooded Cherokee. She remembered seeing a photo of Laura as a child in Indian attire and standing in front of a tee-pee in Missouri. I wished we knew where that photo was now.

I've tried to put a picture I have of William and Laura on here, but it doesn't seem to be working for me today. I'll try again some other time. If anyone out there knows any information on this Conner family from Texas and Oklahoma there are several of us doing this research and would greatly appreciate any information you can share.

8 comments:

tricia conner gilliland said...

I am trying to find out more info also I am a great great granddaughter Laura's last child of 15 his name is Audie Conner is my grandfather please ca me anytime 619-414-4254

tricia conner gilliland said...

I am trying to find out more info also I am a great great granddaughter Laura's last child of 15 his name is Audie Conner is my grandfather please ca me anytime 619-414-4254

Becky said...

I'm learning to despise the name William... as it is a far too common name and a source of great confusion when trying to place generations in my tree. In my tree under the surname Merrell there are eight of them!!

Anyway, can you refresh my memory as to where he fits in to the Joseph H and Effie Conner line?

Untangled Family Roots said...

I hear you Becky. Even my own ggg grandfather was named William and I dang near had us connected to the wrong family because of his name, and many other trees do have the wrong connection. Laura was married to Joseph and Effie's grandson William Monroe Conner

Unknown said...

Laura Alice Barnett Connor was your great-grandmother's name it was on kaladis mother and his father was William Monroe Connor
And their first child was named Lydia Connor and uncle audie the last one
And my dad Earl Conner was just older than Uncle maudie

Unknown said...

This reply misspelled a lot of words

Unknown said...

Daddy siblings were named Lydia OV opal Jewel OD Jack Corbett ray Earl Audi
I may have let somebody out

Unknown said...

Oh yeah I forgot Uncle Leon

Followers

Twitter Followers

BlogCatalog